Amnesty’s 82-page report - Iraq: A Decade of Abuses (PDF) - catalogues years of torture and other ill-treatment of detainees committed by Iraqi security forces and by foreign troops in the wake of the 2003 invasion. It highlights the Iraqi authorities’ failure to observe their obligations to uphold human rights and respect the rule of law in the face of deadly attacks by armed groups.
- Electric shocks applied to the genitals and other parts of the body
- Partial suffocation by having a bag placed tightly over the head
- Beatings while suspended in contorted positions
- Deprivation of food, water and sleep
- Threats of rape or that female relatives will be detained and raped
- Women detainees subjected to sexual abuse